The Global Taskforce of Local and Regional Governments held its annual meeting at a technical level during the 2023 UCLG Retreat to define a joint work plan and align strategies of the different organization members towards international policy processes.
In the lead-up to the 2024 United Nations Summit of the Future, this year presents an unprecedented opportunity for local multilateralism to amplify its role and strengthen its position in reviewing the global financial and multilateral system. Despite the significance of local economic development, resource decentralisation, and the subsidiarity model, these topics still need to be addressed in most global processes.
During the annual meeting, participants identified important events in 2023 that will be crucial for unfolding the local Pact for the Future of Humanity. High-level representatives of United Nations agencies and other multilateral organizations attended the meeting.
Global Taskforce key events in 2023
- The World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments will convene at the second UN-Habitat Assembly in Nairobi in June 2023 and the SDG Summit in New York in September 2023.
- The Local and Regional Government Forum is scheduled to meet at the High-Level Political Forum in New York in July 2023 and the SDG Summit in New York in September 2023.
- The second edition of the VLR and VSR days will take place in New York in July 2023.
- The G20/ Urban 20 meeting is scheduled in Ahmedabad in July 2023.
- The COP28 will be held in Dubai in November 2023, featuring a meeting of ministers of housing and planning.